Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Culture Shock


June 1st 2016
Day 8:
                Nothing too exciting has happened the past few days, but I am taking advantage of the few extra days for some sight-seeing since the trail got cut short. I've been staying with Nat for 3 days now and it's actually been much of a culture shock.  I didn't realize how Indonesian her family actually was.  Her grandmother had moved here from Indonesia to start her own business.  They even sometimes speak a different language in the house! It's actually cool because I've never experienced anything like this before. Staying in this neighborhood makes me feel like a minority, though, and I'm not used to it.  In their backyard there is a lemon, orange and avocado tree! It's the coolest thing ever.  Nat is definitely culturing me a bit.  She took me to a Korean barbecue place the first night, where I couldn't even barely read what was on the menu, let alone understand the waitress.  I ordered the first thing I recognized, teriyaki chicken. It came with a whole fish and this tofu soup.


The tofu was disgusting, but the fish was good! She also took me to try this thing called boba from a place called snow monster.  It was unlike anything I've ever had before.  Apparently, its a west coast thing, but it is slowly making it's way to the east coast.  Boba are actually tapioca balls that are on the bottom of the drink that you suck up through your straw. I had thai tea flavor, but they come in all different kinds of milk teas. 



Another night we also tried the west coasts' famous In & Out burger. It definitely was not better than McDonald's or Wendy's, but I really
hate most fast food anyways, so there's that. Natalie took me to both Laguna and Huntington beach, which were both amazing.  Her mom works right next to Laguna, so we just rode with her to work one day and hung out at the beach all day. The cliffs on the beach were so incredibly gorgeous. Another day she took us to Huntington beach, which is where the US surf championships take place and I could see why once I saw the waves. MASSIVE!!! However, the pacific ocean is absolutely freezing! Extremely too cold for me, but I did get in. Oh and Disneyland is right behind her house, so we get to watch the fireworks outside almost every night.  Her family is so welcoming, and I'm thankful their letting me stay with them for a fewer extra days than planned.
-Grimmzlybear








No comments:

Post a Comment