Monday, July 4, 2016

Pleasant Surprise


Tuesday June 7th 2016

                Today was my first day of shadowing with Dr. Julie Guthrie at Synergie PT & IT WAS A BLAST. 
Trying to find the place was a bit confusing, but eventually I found it tucked between bed bath & beyond & city bank.
There are three different practices within the shared space, which was really cool because I got to meet all the other therapists and spend some time with them, including a neuro PT practice. What was even cooler was professional athletes were rehabbing right in front of my eyes! I got to meet Anthony Davis from the New Orleans Pelicans basketball team and two of his teammates as well.  Michigan State’s star basketball player Denzel Valentine was also there, who is predicted to be a number 1 NBA draft pick this year (AWESOME). Two pro tennis players and 3 pro hockey players were there too.  I definitely was not expecting to get such an experience, but it was amazing! The equipment that they have is state of the art stuff. 
They even have a gait analysis machine with a computer program that analyzes what is causing pain when you walk.  What’s even better is that I got to work with the program!
I was able to take screenshots of the EMG’s and paste them into an excel spreadsheet. They hooked up electrodes to the gluteus maximus and medius and recorded EMG’s to see which of the muscles were firing and when they were. Another girl my age was there, who I later found out it was her first day as well, but she was working there for the whole summer (I’m jealous).  Dr. Guthrie had 2 patients with pelvic floor dysfunction and 2 knee injuries.  It was cool to learn about pelvic floor dysfunction because I haven’t heard much of it before.  Overall, it was a fantastic day & I can’t wait for tomorrow!


-Things are looking up.

Grimmzlybear


No comments:

Post a Comment